Submitted by Trista Zimmerman, Leisure Education Teacher
Over the past few months, students have been able to place health at the forefront with our Healthy Habits program. Using our Tools for Schools grant, we’ve had the opportunity to explore different activities across campus and in the community. The grant has enabled us to:
- Purchase water bottles, as well as a new water fountain, which has increased hydration habits amongst staff and students.
- Go on outings – hiking, to the grocery store, to community gardens, and other health related activities.
- Have bikes repaired which the students have taken out into the community during their Physical Education time.
- Explore new fruits and veggies by visiting our local Co-op.
- Focus on overall wellbeing with a unit on happiness
- Participate in Health Jeopardy and win healthy prizes
- Complete a unit on sharing with accompanying fruit paintings.
The Healthy Habits programming has been a great way to teach lifelong wellness skills to our students, and will continue to be implemented once a month during the school year.